Featured Items Ritchie Christian Media

With Christ

Mrs Gertrude (Gertie) Adair was called Home on 11th August, aged 91. Born in the village of Greyabbey, she first came in contact with the Gospel as a young girl going to Cardy Gospel Hall Sunday School. She met and married Leonard Adair in 1950, and they made their family home in the village of Portavogie. This was where they both came under conviction of sins, in meetings held by the late Tom Campbell and Harold Paisley in 1958, in New Road Gospel Hall. Gertie and Leonard were saved a few days apart, and commenced a Christian home together. They obeyed the Lord in baptism and gathered to His name in New Road Gospel Hall, Portavogie, in 1960. Sadly, Leonard met with a tragic accident at work, and was suddenly called Home on 2nd May 1966, leaving Gertie with two children. In recent years she sustained another sad event when her son Terrance, and his wife Olive, passed away. In spite of the many trials of life, our sister bore a wonderful testimony to her Lord and Saviour. She was truly an encourager of many, both in the assembly and to others with whom she came into contact. She was a godly sister who "hath done what she could" (Mk 14.8). Our sister was consistent at the assembly gatherings until October 2015 when her failing health confined her to her home. "Thou shalt be missed, because thy seat will be empty" (1 Sam 20.18). Her daughter Marilyn and son-in-law Robin were very faithful to her. They showed her much love and care until the Lord called her Home. Please remember all the family (many of whom are unsaved) in prayer for comfort and strength. Her funeral was from the New Road Gospel Hall, when the Lord's presence and comfort were known.

Mrs Jean Anderson (née Boyd), aged 83, was called into the presence of the Lord on 5th July. She was saved in her early teens and, after being baptised, she gathered with the saints in Newmains Gospel Hall. She was there until her marriage, when she moved to the Armadale area and lived out all her married life with the saints in Armadale Gospel Hall. She was a true 'Mother in Israel', especially to the younger Christians who were blessed by her godly example. She is survived by her husband, for whom prayer is requested in his own personal difficult circumstances.

Mr John Brownlee, aged 79, was called Home on 12th August. A native of Co Fermanagh, he was saved from a life of alcohol addiction on the 4th April 1989, baptised the same year, and received into the Enniskillen assembly. John never looked back, but through life bore evident testimony to God's saving grace and keeping. He was the devoted husband of Pam and loving father of Amanda, Warren and Rachel, all saved by grace, though now widely separated from home - in England, Australia and Scotland. John will be greatly missed in the home and in the local assembly, where he was a committed member and for many years the gifted precentor and caretaker of the hall. Pray for Pam and family, and the greatly impoverished assembly in Enniskillen.

Mrs Irene Crothers, aged 73, was called to be with the Lord on 13th August. She was saved on 15th March 2002, while attending Gospel Meetings in Lurgan Gospel Hall, conducted by T Bentley and D Gilliland. She was later baptised and received into fellowship where she remained until her homecall. She had a prolonged illness, which she bore patiently in a God-honouring manner. She is survived by her husband James, for whom prayer is requested.

Mr Robert (Bob) English, aged 84, was called into the presence of the Lord on 13th July, after necessary surgery. He was saved as a young boy of ten as he attended Sunday School. Five years later he was baptised, and after this was associated with the saints in Plantation Street/Harley Street, Glasgow for 29 years. During these years he married Lilly Jamieson, and later their daughters Jean and May were born. His work took him to the Manchester area in 1976, and for the next five years he was in fellowship with the saints at Cheetham before returning to the Glasgow area, and to the assembly in Harley Street, once again. Not long after his return, Lilly was called Home and, in 1986, he married Anna McCormick from Lurgan. They set up home in High Wycombe, and had fellowship with the saints in Bethany Hall. Returning to Scotland in 1991, he finally made his home in Ashgill and was in happy and consistent fellowship with the saints in Bethany Hall for over 24 years. Bob and Anna were much given to hospitality, and many saints and servants enjoyed the warmth of their love and kindness. He is a big miss to the assembly and also to his family, so prayer is requested for all those he dearly loved.

Mr Hugh Gillan, aged 79, was called Home on 16th August after a period of illness. Hugh was saved as a young boy, and for some time was in Ahoghill assembly. On his marriage to Charlotte, he moved to live in North Antrim and was in Ballintoy assembly for 38 years. The Lord blessed the couple with two sons, John and Robert. Our brother was marked by real consistency in attendance at the gatherings of the assembly, and his calm and gracious manner was an example to all. While not a public man, he loved to support the preaching of the Gospel and hear the ministry of the truth of God. The large attendance at the Thanksgiving Service was a testimony to the high esteem in which our brother was held, and a good number of friends who did not know the Saviour heard the Gospel faithfully preached. Prayer is requested for the family.

Mr Herbert Graham, aged 91, was called Home on 5th August. Born in Maguiresbridge, Co Fermanagh, the eldest son of a family of nine, Herbie grew up in Newtownards and Dundonald and was saved as a young man. In September 1947, he married Betty Kerr from Ballieborough. From the late 1960s, Herbie and Betty ran the El Nathan Missionary Children's Home in Annadale Avenue, Belfast, at one point looking after some 20 young people. That home was also the venue for Sunday night Bible Studies for young adults, and a Missionary Study Class. Many have testified to the lasting impact these had in their lives. Herbie was an able children's speaker and Gospel preacher, who had the joy of seeing souls won for the Lord. He was also a gifted Bible teacher, a respected elder, and a chaplain at the Ulster Hospital, Dundonald. He was in fellowship in a number of assemblies over the years: Comber Road, Dundonald, then Derriaghy and Ormeau Road, Belfast. In 1982 Herbie returned to live in Dundonald, and was again in fellowship in Comber Road. Most recently, he was in Bethany Church, Finaghy. For the last few years Herbie was resident in Faith House. Bethany Church was full for his Service of Thanksgiving – a testimony to the many lives that he had touched. Prayer would be appreciated for the large family circle.

Mr Robert (Bob) McCandless was called into the presence of the Lord on 24th August in his 95th year. Our beloved brother was saved by grace in his early teenage years after attending Gospel Meetings conducted by the late brethren Robert Watson and Fred English, in a tent near Ashfield Crossroads where he lived. After his conversion he was received into the assembly at Mullafernaghan, and later he was in fellowship in the Dromore assembly after his marriage to Gladys Smith of Edenderry. For a period of time he was in the Bleary assembly when he lived in that area, and later came back to Dromore assembly for the last 20 years of his life. His wife predeceased him 15 years ago. Our brother had a great interest in children's work, and gave much help in this respect. He was a very gifted singer and was much appreciated in the role of precentor. With his wife, he was very faithful in his attendance at all the assembly meetings, although prevented from doing so for the last few years of his life because of ill health. The funeral was from the Dromore Gospel Hall and conducted by brethren R J Tinsley and E Robinson.

Mrs Edna McQuillan, aged 71, was called Home on 29th June after a long period of illness. Edna was saved on 6th April 1978 at meetings near Coagh, conducted by Mr Jim Martin and the late Mr George McKinley. The same year she was baptised and received into Cookstown assembly and, as long as she was able, enjoyed the fellowship of saints there. Her husband predeceased her a few years ago, and she leaves behind her a son and daughter who mourn her passing but are happy that her sufferings are over. Prayer would be valued for members of her family who are not saved. Her funeral took place from Cookstown Gospel Hall, with a large number present.


Back issues are provided here as a free resource. To support production and to receive current editions of Believer's Magazine, please subscribe...

Print Edition

Digital Edition

Copyright © 2017 John Ritchie Ltd. Home