Featured Items Ritchie Christian Media

November 2005

From the editor: He is faithful and just (1 Jn 1.9)
J Grant

The Enemy Within (1)
Malcolm C Davis

The Offerings (7)
J Paton

Book Review

The First Book of Samuel (6)
J Riddle

Samson (4)
D Parrack

Poetry: Golgotha
M J Cordiner

Question Box

The God of Glory (2)
E A R Shotter

Five Ways of Reading the Word of God
W Hoste

Notebook: Daniel the Prophet
J Grant

Whose faith follow: Francis Logg of Aberdeen (1853-1915)

The Lord Looked upon Peter (1)
C Jones

Poetry: The anvil

Into All The World: Witnessing (4)
L McHugh

With Christ

The Lord’s Work & Workers


Whose faith follow: Francis Logg of Aberdeen (1853-1915)

Francis Logg was born in Paisley on 11th July, 1853. When young, the children were left orphans and suffered all the disadvantages then consequent on such a situation. In the story of his conversion, written with his own hand, he tells how he was awakened through the death of a sister in March, 1875, spent six weeks in deep soul trouble, and was helped through a chapter in Grace and Truth on "There is no Difference". He was led into light through the Spirit applying John 3.16 to his heart. He never was in a gospel meeting till after he was saved. Soon after being born again he joined the assembly which met in St. James Street, Glasgow, in 1876. A lover of souls from the beginning, he sought out the anxious, and took an active part in all gospel work.

A moulder by trade, about the end of 1884 he felt the Lord was calling him to definite and regular service in preaching the gospel in the regions beyond the city of Glasgow. How the Lord led him in these early days can best be described in the words of his veteran colleague, David Rea.

"Our brother, Francis Logg, came over to this country at a most opportune time. When he arrived at our house, in Portadown, I felt he was sent of God. I had just finished three months meetings in the country in great weakness of body, yet we had a real time of soul saving and blessing. At the close, fifty believers, mostly young converts, sat down at the opening meeting to remember the Lord. Mr Logg went in and out among them, cared for and fed them, and helped them very much.

The first thing I saw in him was his kind heart, his love for souls, and for myself in my weakness. I soon discerned that he was a man of prayer, and also a daily student of the Word of God. He regularly read his morning portion on his knees. Another important part of our brother’s work was the distribution of tracts. He always kept a good supply and never missed an opportunity. On one occasion he handed a tract to a woman standing at her own door. She asked him if he had any relations in hell, for she was going there, and if he had a message to send she would take it for him. Sad to say she suddenly died three weeks later, apparently without hope.

At this time my health compelled me to move into the country so I took an old manse and we converted the wash-house into a baptistery, and the outhouses into a hall seating 300. Over 100 were baptised. When my health began to improve we consulted together and brought over a tent which I had stored in Douglas, Isle of Man, for two years, being unable to use it. We pitched it and for several months had a continual stream of blessing. One feature of the work was the deep soul contrition and repentance of men and women. Our brother’s name was held in high esteem all over that country. Similar scenes of blessing were witnessed in many places in what we called ‘our own country’.

We next took the tent to Clones, Co. Monaghan, but could get no ground, so we pitched a little outside the town, and although we had a good deal of opposition God blessed. In one place we were fairly boycotted, and they would not sell us food, but, hungry as we were, we got the tent up. The second night we found a crowd with two big drums at the tent door hammering away. Mr Logg kept the door, the meeting went on, and we drowned the noise of the drums. Afterwards the people became our friends, we got into Clones, God wrought, and souls were saved.

In the model village of Bessbrook God gave a rich time of blessing. We had some striking cases of conversion to God, and also some notable instances of God’s sudden judgment on daring oppressors of the work. Colonel Doran asked us to his place in Co. Fermanagh, gave us his lawn-tennis ground, and there were some remarkable conversions. We next pitched in the Clougher Valley where God also showed His mighty power, as well as in many other places which could be named.

In 1892, the north of Scotland was laid upon his heart, so we parted in body but not in spirit. He there finished his course with joy, and many will praise God for his toil and labour in the gospel.

A wonderful record might have been made of his plodding work in the years in the north of Scotland, with occasional visits to the south, as well as to Ireland and England, but he kept no record of any of his work. He fought face to face, put issues into God’s hands, and often wrestled in prayer, that what was of the flesh might perish and what was of God would remain as work for eternity".

It must be also mentioned that David Rea and Francis Logg came to Scotland in 1887 for some weeks and conducted a series of meetings in the Marble Hall, Glasgow. Sinners were convicted, saints were revived, and souls stirred in a manner which is rarely seen. There was a spiritual fervour which permeated the meetings, and they were remembered for many years.

Subsequent to his moving to the north of Scotland he worked in Inverallochy and Cairnbulg, and the fruit from these meetings bore testimony to God’s approval of his labours. He also laboured in Kininvie, Dufftown, Auchnagatt, New Deer, Elgin, and Lossiemouth, in addition to many other places during these years in gospel work in tents and halls. Two young Ayrshire brethren, who for six consecutive seasons spent their summer holidays with Mr Logg helping in his tent work, wrote the following appreciation: "We were amazed by his zeal in the spread of the gospel. He threw his whole heart into the work, and was ever on the alert for fresh fields whither to carry the Word of Life. He aimed pre-eminently at being a soul-winner, and exercised great wisdom in dealing with the anxious. His message was delivered in a plain, simple, homely fashion, the meeting was closed in an orderly way while each one retiring received a gospel tract. It was no uncommon thing to see one and another return to the tent in soul trouble, when our brother invariably had the joy of leading them to the Saviour. A keen observer of men, he displayed considerable tact in dealing with souls, not putting every one through the same mill. In the distribution of gospel tracts, of which he always carried a good supply, he would approach people, whether they be workman, tourist, or soldier, in such a way as would cause the receiver to think that the tract had been especially selected for him, and at once they were on friendly terms.

He made it his practice to visit regularly every house in the district where his tent was pitched. The result was that even in lonely parts of the north of Scotland our brother had little difficulty in getting sinners to speak to, and oftentimes had his tent well filled. Our holiday spent with him proved not only a spiritual tonic, but was also an incentive to go on in the Lord’s work, however humble our sphere, knowing that there is One ‘who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man’s work’ (1 Pet 1.17)".

For the last three or four years of his life his health was far from good. At his last New Year he was able to give help in meetings in Cardiff. After returning home to Aberdeen he was afflicted with a stroke. The last verse he was able to repeat in his daily meditation was, "The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe" (Prov 18.10). The meditation alongside the text, by the venerable John Newton, was remarkably applicable to our brother and his family in their sorrow: "The Lord has given us to know His Name as a resting place and a hiding place, a sun and a shield. Circumstances and creatures may change, but He will be an unchangeable friend". He passed into the presence of the Master whom he loved and served on 25th January, 1915, leaving a sorrowing widow and son to mourn the loss of one they loved.


Back issues are provided here as a free resource. To support production and to receive current editions of Believer's Magazine, please subscribe...

Print Edition

Digital Edition

Copyright © 2017 John Ritchie Ltd. Home