Featured Items Ritchie Christian Media

With Christ

Mrs Annie Carse, called home on 19th August in her 97th year. She was saved in 1927 when R Love was preaching the gospel at Growell. The truth of the hymn, "Soon as my all I ventured on the atoning blood, The Holy Spirit entered and I was born of God", brought to her great assurance. She was received into fellowship at Growell and was there until 1938 when she was married and, with her husband Bobbie Carse, was in fellowship in Francis Street, Newtownards, and afterwards at Ebenezer Gospel Hall, Bangor. Her husband pre-deceased her in 1979. For many years she was unable to be out at the meetings but maintained a freshness in her testimony. She was godly in character, interested in people, and loved to talk of the Lord. D Gilpin and S Thompson shared in the funeral services.

Mr William Cherry. Called home on Lord’s Day, 9th September, aged 80, he passed away peacefully after some years of illness. He was saved in 1946 at meetings conducted by the late T W Wallace in Dromore Gospel Hall, having been invited to the meetings by a friend with whom he later formed a business partnership in the construction business, and, shortly after his conversion, he was baptised and received into the fellowship of the Dromore assembly where he remained a faithful and consistent brother giving much help in the maintenance of the local testimony. He was a respected elder and assembly correspondent for many years. His large funeral from the Gospel Hall was conducted by W J Nesbitt, J Fleck, and J Lennox, assisted by local brethren. Prayer requested for his sorrowing widow and family some of whom are still in need of salvation.

Mr Willie Falconer was called home to be with his Lord on Sunday, 2nd September, at the age of 87 years. He passed away peacefully at home after a long illness borne with great patience. Our brother was saved at 14 years of age and was baptised and received into fellowship in Netherburn Assembly. Willie was a diligent student of the Scriptures and committed much to memory and this stood him in good stead latterly as he lost his sight. He married Mary Peat from Larkhall and they were married for sixty-five years. God blessed them with five sons and they are all saved. They were in fellowship in various assemblies due to his work as a miner but mostly in Netherburn, and on its closure they came to Overtown Assembly in 1999 where they remained in happy fellowship. He was a brother beloved and will be missed. The large company at his funeral spoke well of the regard in which he was held. Prayer is requested for his wife and extended family.

Mrs Iris Flanagan, called home on 25th June, in her 92nd year. Saved at fourteen, she was later received into the Clones assembly. After her marriage to Mr George Flanagan, they were in fellowship in Tullyglush, and later in the assembly at Keady. Having been predeceased by her husband twenty-one years ago, she remained faithful to the assembly at Keady until her homecall. She and her husband were lovers of the gospel and kindly gave their garage as a venue for some fruitful series of meetings. As a district nurse she had a good testimony amongst her patients and neighbours, many of whom attended the large funeral. It was shared by J Martin and T Flanagan in the home, and by W J Nesbit and S McBride at the graveside. Prayer would be valued for all the bereaved family.

Mr Stuart H Gray, called home on 26th August, aged 101. He came to know the Lord as a lad of fourteen, but it was some time later that he saw the truth of baptism and identified himself with the local assembly in Papa Westray. For many years the Lord was remembered in his home in the Breaking of Bread until a hall was built. Along with his late wife Lizzie the light and testimony was maintained on the island. He will be remembered as a man of conviction, commitment, and consistency.

Mr Finlay M Macleod fell asleep in Jesus on 17th March. Finlay was born in Drumbeg, Sutherland. In 1943 he started work in an Oban hotel. One day, in a drunken state, he was given a New Testament by a friend. He opened the book at Mark 2, and the words of the Lord in v.5 jumped out at him: "Son, thy sins be forgiven thee". It immediately sobered him and he was converted there and then. He later went to work in Aberfeldy where he met a young student, Sadie Rodgers, who was to become his wife. Sadie introduced him to the truth of assembly gathering. While in Clydebank, in 1953, he was baptised and received into fellowship at Victoria Hall and there he grew in grace and in the knowledge of his Lord. Work took Finlay and Sadie to Inverness in 1969, and they gathered with the saints at Ebenezer Hall. In 1999 they moved to the Culloden assembly where Finlay continued in happy fellowship until his homecall.

Finlay had artistic and poetic gifts and his appreciation of the Lord was expressed in a unique manner that lifted worship and thrilled the saints. He was loved by all who knew him and is greatly missed.

The burial service was comforting and challenging, and brethren from Clydebank, Celt Street, and Culloden assemblies participated. The very large company attested to the esteem in which our brother was held. Prayer is requested for Sadie and the family.


Back issues are provided here as a free resource. To support production and to receive current editions of Believer's Magazine, please subscribe...

Print Edition

Digital Edition

Copyright © 2017 John Ritchie Ltd. Home