Featured Items Ritchie Christian Media

With Christ

Mr Bertie Fenton arrived safely at his desired haven (Psalm 107) on 24th June. He was brought up in a Christian home and raised under the influence of the gospel. His father died when he was 15 and this made him think of eternity, and as time passed his soul trouble deepened. In August, 1947 Reggie Jordan and Sydney Maxwell held tent meetings in the locality and Bertie had an intense desire to be saved. One night while pumping water from a well he got a drink of living water, as he suddenly realized that the sins which had been troubling him so much had in fact been borne by Christ. The fact that Christ was risen and glorified was the proof to him that his sins were gone forever. Bertie joined himself to the assembly in Ballyclare, and as a young man became a marine engineer spending most of his life at sea. The truth of being a member of the family of God thrilled him as he enjoyed fellowship and hospitality with Christians at ports all over the world - some of whom he was meeting for the first time but felt he already knew! When he was at sea all his free time was devoted to Bible study a habit that continued during retirement and right up to his home call. He not only saw the works of the Lord and His wonders in the deep (Psalm 107) but got to know in a way that few others have "the deep things of God" (1 Cor 2.10) He will be greatly missed by his wife Ethel for whom prayer is valued, his son David and the assembly at Cambridge Avenue where he was an ever-present member for the last 20 years.

Mrs Margaret Heading (widow of the late Professor John Heading, editor of Precious Seed), aged 92, was called home on 25th April, after some years in a nursing home. She was born in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, a twin sister to Anne. She was brought up in Market Weighton (Yorkshire), by a Methodist minister and his wife, and trained as a nurse, and then as a midwife in Hereford. She practised as a midwife and rose to be a sister at the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary. She married John Heading at Panton Hall, Cambridge, on 31st August, 1951. They lived thereafter in North London, Southampton and latterly, from 1967, in Aberystwyth. She was a quiet person, but very hospitable, being very kind to students in the assembly, and a great help to John in his editing, being meticulously responsible for checking the Scriptural references in articles. She dutifully looked after a number of aging relatives in their last days and was faithful in the little assembly. Pray for her two sons, Jeremy and Peter.

Mr Willie Mathers, aged 99, was called home on 2nd August. Saved as a young man through the Town Mission in Motherwell, he later enjoyed fellowship in Roman Road Hall, Motherwell. Thereafter, with his wife Agnes, he was in fellowship in Low Waters Gospel Hall, Hamilton, Ebenezer Hall, Motherwell, and for 33 years in Forgewood Gospel Hall, Motherwell where he was correspondent and treasurer. He was later in Bellshill Gospel Hall before moving to Auchlochan Retirement Village. Our brother lived his life for the furtherance of the gospel and the assembly testimony, and was a faithful shepherd of the flock. He was predeceased by his wife and is survived by his daughter and two sons.

Mrs Sadie Nicolls, aged 89, was called home to glory on 21st June. Sadie was saved as a girl of 15 after attending gospel meetings being held by Tom Rea during October, 1940. Following baptism she was received into the assembly in Magherafelt where she remained in happy fellowship. For many years she was the devoted wife of the late Austin Nicolls. Throughout her life her quiet confidence in God was radiated by a constant smile. She is greatly missed by her children, her extended family, and by the assembly in Magherafelt. A private family committal was taken by R Pickering and a large funeral service was taken by W J Lennox and L Craig.

Mr Hugh Sinclair, aged 81, died peacefully in St John's Hospital, Livingston, on 17th April, and was buried in Adambrae Cemetery on 25th April. Hugh was born in Greenock and lived in Port Glasgow Road, and worked mainly in I.B.M. for 56 years in the stores. He was in the advisory Council as spokesman, and never had to work on a Sunday. Hugh met Rita and they were married for 55 years. Hugh was concerned about his soul's eternal welfare and attended meetings in the Gospel Hall locally and was converted to Jesus Christ as a teenager and was baptised by immersion and added into fellowship in the assembly which met in that hall. His parents were believers as well. Hugh, at an early age began to preach and teach the Word of God and did so for years. He also loved to sing, and was in a male voice choir, a mixed choir, and a mass choir, and later sang in a quartet. He spent many happy years in the Greenock Assembly, and after a few years he moved to Wemyss Bay, and had fellowship in Gourock Assembly. After a few years they moved to Kelloholm, Ayrshire and had fellowship in the Kirkconnel Assembly for 12-13 years, and had a very happy time there. They left there and came to Livingston 8-9 years ago and we can testify to rich warm fellowship over these years. He taught the Word of God and his contribution in the Sunday morning remembrance service was always uplifting and God glorifying. It has to be said that, from his teens Hugh had many operations and was in many hospitals all through his life but this never deterred his zeal and spirit in the service of His Lord he worshipped and served faithfully. He is absent from the body and present with the Lord (2 Cor 5.8).

Mr William Walker, Barrhead, was called home on 30th August, aged 86. Our brother had been in fellowship in Barrhead since 1997. Willie was faithful and consistent in his attendance at the meetings, and contributed in worship and service in the activities of the assembly. He was a student of the Word, and would often photocopy, at his own expense, various helpful extracts from different articles and pass them on for consideration. During the last year, however, he had been unable to attend due to poor health, and after various spells in hospital, passed away peacefully, into the Lord's presence. Please remember his daughter, Edith, in prayer.


Back issues are provided here as a free resource. To support production and to receive current editions of Believer's Magazine, please subscribe...

Print Edition

Digital Edition

Copyright © 2017 John Ritchie Ltd. Home